MMA Takedown: weekly submissions from 11/5 – 11/11
- Follwing his win over Chris Leben at UFC 138, Mark Munoz now has his sights set on midddleweight champ, Anderson Silva.
- Speaking of Leben, Fighters Only magazine is reporting that the ‘Crippler’ had a drastic weight cut for his bout with Munoz, dropping 21 pounds in 24 hours, which is not only dangerous, but would explain his unusual performance in the cage.
- Nice article from the L.A. Times on two mixed martial artists stopping a robbery (with video). http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/miced-martial-arts-fighters-foil-robbery.html
- After Carlos Condit was bumped from his welterweight title fight with GSP, he now has an opponent at UFC 143. Josh Koscheck gets the call after he talked and tweeted his way into a number one contenders bout with Condit on Super Bowl weekend.
- Former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem has switched managment from Golden Glory and has joined the Xtreme Couture camp.
- In other Overeem news, he gave a prediction on his upcoming bout with Brock Lesnar to ‘The MMA Hour’ host, Ariel Helwani saying “I’m going to kick that guy’s ass.”
- A fan’s story after meeting Chael Sonnen. THIS IS A MUST READ!! http://www.mmamania.com/2011/11/9/2549322/introducing-chael-sonnen-a-ufc-fans-story-about-the-fighter-you-never#storyjump
- Chael Sonnen: “I would ban the triangle choke, the refuge of cowards everywhere.” Now this is the Chael I know. The full interview with mmamania.com: http://www.mmamania.com/2011/11/7/2539348/catching-up-with-chael-mmamania-exclusive-interview-with-ufc
- Two more fights have been added to UFC 142 in Brazil: Sam Stout vs. Thiago Tavares and Terry Etim vs. Edson Barboza.
- UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta on Saturday’s UFC on FOX: “We’re flat out going to lose money on this fight.” Interesting story on the business side of the event. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/11/07/Media/UFC-FOX.aspx
- Speaking of money, Georges St. Pierre told Agence France-Presse in an interview that he makes between $4 – $5 million per fight. Not exactly the chump change a lot of people think that these fighters make.
- Joe Lauzon vs. Anthony Pettis has been verbally agreed to for UFC 143 on Super Bowl weekend.
- Rory MacDonald has withdrawn from his match against Brian Ebersole at UFC 140 due to an undisclosed injury. Filling in for MacDonald will be Claude Patrick and his 14-1 career record.
- Finally … Dana White has confirmed that Chael Sonnen will indeed get his rematch against Anderson Silva, although no date has been set as of yet.